RCT Homes is a not-for-profit social enterprise called a ‘Community Mutual’
Its primary purpose is as a Registered Social Landlord (RSL) and, in common with all other all RSLs in Wales, is registered and regulated by the Welsh Assembly Government
A Community Mutual is a new form of RSL, which ensures that tenants can become ‘owners in common’ of the organisation, and so have real opportunities to get involved in the management of their homes and communities.
Following a transfer of council housing stock and personnel in December 2007, RCT Homes now has over 350 employees.
Reasons for interest in Agile Nation
Over the last two years RCT Homes has worked in partnership with Chwarae Teg to carry out the following activities:
- An audit of current flexible working practices, policies and procedures
- A review of differing business needs across the organisation through workshop settings
- Development of a flexible working booklet offering practical and innovative responses to flexible working and team based solutions for teams and customers
- Delivery of awareness raising sessions for managers
- A series of team based solutions sessions across the organisation to encourage and support teams in developing new ways of working
The partnership has been so successful that RCT Homes is keen to continue working with Chwarae Teg, using the Agile Nation project to further develop their policies and procedures, and taking the opportunity to refer women employees to the Ascent programme.
Why Agile Nation?
‘Flexible working reflects the changing needs of both our customers and employees. By working with Chwarae Teg and consulting all staff, we have been able to develop a positive and innovative approach to flexible working that is focussed on improving customer service, while at the same time supporting staff and their families with their personal commitments.
We have learnt that flexibility needs to be part of our culture, and we are trying several methods of flexible working, varied according to individual needs and business priorities'.
‘We recognise that there are still a few barriers to overcome, but anticipate that flexible working will bring huge benefits in terms of customer service provision and employee motivation and satisfaction. The only way that we can be an ‘employer of choice’ is to provide the type of working environment that attracts and retains the best people.
The Agile Nation Project is an excellent opportunity for us to continue the excellent work we have done with Chwarae Teg, enabling us to continue development and awareness raising around flexible working and equality and diversity issues, while giving our female staff the opportunity to progress and develop in their roles.’
Agile Nation outcomes for employees and for the business
RCT Homes hopes to achieve the following:
- The opportunity for women to improve their skills and abilities, build confidence, and further their careers
- All employees to benefit from up-to-date policies and procedures contributing to greater flexibility and increased employee motivation
- The award of a Chwarae Teg Kite Mark for Best Practice and recognition as an ‘employer of choice’.
As a new organisation, RCT Homes has huge challenges and exciting times ahead. They have worked in partnership with Chwarae Teg and undertaken a range of activities to raise awareness and implement a flexible working culture.
RCT Homes recognises that flexible working is about adjusting work patterns and that ‘one size doesn’t fit all’. The organisation is looking forward to the benefits that working flexibly will bring to both customers and employees.